Saturday, May 19, 2012

Androgyny as Activism

visible androgyny is a form of activism for me. i live my life to set an example that people who look like me can be successful in a professional setting, in a higher education setting, in a family setting. i want to set a good example for younger androgynes so they know that it can get better, if it's making them miserable, and that it doesn't have to get worse, if it's treating them alright so far. i want people who have never seen someone with my gender presentation before to know that we exist and that we're not scary, or even really all that different from them. (i do think that i have an advantage in this over my male counterparts, because females are more generally perceived as non-threatening. i don't think that's particularly fair.) by presenting a gender that is more central on the spectrum, we are visible evidence against a bi-gender culture. demolishing that structure is essential to the equality of all genders.