Sunday, February 12, 2012

What's Age Got to Do With It?

How does your age impact your gender?

my gender has changed over time, but i think that's a characteristic of my gender more than a reflection of my age. i was very girly as a small child; i grew into "baggy pants with tight shirts OR tight pants with baggy shirts" around middle school; and of course i got way dykier when i went away to college. now i'm more comfortable with the various parts of my gender; i'm more practiced at picking and choosing pieces every day.

i feel like the responsibilities i have held at different ages have impacted my performance of gender more than my age itself. i was very androgynous in college because i was held to so few standards. i wore a uniform every day until i graduated high school, and at that time i certainly wasn't going to be one of the girls who wore pants, so it was practically a non-issue. now in a professional setting, i feel like i have to be feminine more often than not, but i'm trying to queer it as often as i can.